International Trade, Investment and Market Access
With one of the world’s leading global trade and investment practices, Squire Sanders Public Advocacy’s International Trade practice group combines legal experience and political and diplomatic clout to help clients navigate international trade regulation and policy issues. We draw upon our substantive experience and broad contacts within the Obama Administration, Capitol Hill and US industry to vigorously achieve our clients’ goals. Our practice includes former staff of congressional committees, a former member of Congress and former White House officials. Together, our team can maximize your company’s competitive position in the global marketplace, combining legal strategies and advocacy that few firms can match.
Squire Sanders Public Advocacy’s Washington DC presence is augmented by Squire Sanders' global network of 36 offices throughout Europe, Asia, the Americas and the Middle East. Our contacts and the on-the-ground know-how of our worldwide network provide our advisors with strong technical capability and a sophisticated understanding of the legislative and regulatory process both in the United States and in dozens of countries around the world.
Our team members have decades of experience and have helped to negotiate and craft every major recent international trade initiative, including the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreements, all of the United States’ bilateral free trade agreements, the legislative preference programs, and safeguard and trade remedy cases and settlements. Our team has substantial experience handling many of the world’s most prominent international trade disputes. We appear frequently before the US Court of International Trade, the Office of the US Trade Representative, the International Trade Commission, and the Departments of State, Treasury, Commerce, Justice, and US Customs and Border Protection. Our reputation and longstanding relationships are key to our ability to help our clients achieve their international trade objectives before these institutions.
Specific Areas of Experience:
Squire Sanders Public Advocacy assists clients on a broad range of trade and investment matters including:
- Legislative initiatives and executive branch actions involving the Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) and the US Departments of Commerce, Treasury, State and other government agencies
- Overseas trade, investment, and market access policy issues before key government officials around the world including DG Trade (EU), MOFCOM (China), and METI (Japan)
- Customs classification, valuation and rules of origin matters, including rules on preferential trade programs and free trade agreements
- Export controls, embargoes and economic sanctions compliance
- Antidumping, countervailing duty, safeguard and other trade remedy proceedings and advocacy before authorities in the United States, the European Communities and other countries.
- International trade and investment negotiations, advocacy, and advise regarding the WTO, free trade agreements and bilateral investment treaties
- Structuring transactions to take full advantage of trade rules and investment treaties
- Food safety, product regulation and industrial standards issues
- Textiles and apparel
- Buy America