Local Public Advocacy Representation in the District of Columbia
Squire Sanders provides a full range of legislative counseling assistance to clients in developing and transmitting their message to lawmakers, agencies, commissions and boards. We have had a close relationship with the District’s government for many years involving issues ranging from the financing of numerous projects to legislative matters.
Our District of Columbia government relations practice is distinguished in a number of ways:
- We believe strongly in structuring a selective practice. We do not represent dozens and dozens of corporations or institutions for legislative purposes, but target our services and resources for a select number of entities to ensure that their issues are developed, advanced and favorably resolved.
- We provide a comprehensive set of services to our local clients. In the health care area these services include a four member professional team that provides carefully coordinated and integrated District of Columbia legislative information and advocacy services.
- We have developed a well-organized local agenda-setting, advocacy approach and methodology that have won extensive praise from District Council members and clients for its effectiveness, organization and thoroughness.
- Another unique aspect of our District of Columbia government group is the very strong combined experience we have in representing federal interests as well as local interests.
Of course, the key in the end is outcomes. In this regard, we have been well-recognized as among the most effective in securing targeted legislative goals in various areas. Our track record of successes is clear and documented in legislation adopted by the Council as well as decisions reached by oversight boards. Our track record reflects long-term partnerships and relationships with our clients and the District of Columbia’s government. It also reflects effectively, creatively structured local agenda advocacy strategies.
Our local Washington DC government advocacy team has extensive executive and legislative branch experience. With that team comes a commitment to provide the benefits of a full-time Washington DC office that affords seven-day-a-week service and coverage.
Our legislative services for local and federal advocacy include:
- Preparation and drafting of legislation and amendments
- Legal and issue analysis of pending legislation
- Preparation of legislative testimony and position papers
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of committee hearing and floor sessions
- Legal and issue analysis of campaign, lobbying and ethics laws and regulations
- Representation before administrative agencies
- Negotiations with elected officials
- Advising clients on federal government and federal legislative issues, emphasizing legislative enactments and processes and effective legislative and administrative strategies