Timothy J. Cosgrove
Timothy Cosgrove is among Ohio’s best connected and most influential government relations professionals. He combines his experience as director of policy and legislation for former Ohio Governor George V. Voinovich with his training and experience as a lawyer practicing in the legislative counseling, public finance and administrative law areas to serve the needs of corporate, nonprofit and trade association clients in Ohio.
Tim has been involved in every major policy area in the Ohio General Assembly including tax reform, economic development, health care, science and technology, and finance. He has also played a role in the advocacy effort of a variety of major Cleveland development initiatives including management of the advocacy efforts in Columbus in support of the financing package for the new Cleveland Browns Stadium, biennial capital budget appropriations and BioEnterprise Cleveland. He is active in Cleveland’s civic affairs serving as chair of the board of trustees of Cleveland State University. He previously served as executive assistant under former Ohio Governor George Voinovich.
Tim’s legislative counseling experience includes preparing and drafting legislation and amendments, providing analyses of pending legislation and presenting testimony and client position papers as well as monitoring and evaluating committee hearings and congressional sessions. He is also heavily involved in government advocacy and government relations. In particular he assists clients in proactively building relationships with government officials and in developing advocacy strategies that can be integrated into government relations plans. Tim is experienced in securing appropriations within state operating and capital budgets. He has been recognized by Cincinnati Magazine as an Ohio Super Lawyer.
Tim is a member of the Ohio Lobbying Association and of the Public Affairs Committees of both the Ohio Chamber of Commerce and the Greater Cleveland Partnership.
Tim is the immediate past chair of the board of directors for the Washington DC-based Northeast Midwest Institute.
- Advising on securing US$40 million capital budget appropriations for a major sports facility.
- Advising on the coordination of US$30 million in capital budget requests for projects in Northeast Ohio.
- Representing a nationally recognized nonprofit hospital system in the passage of medical malpractice reform legislation in Ohio.
- Representing a variety of clients’ interests in government contracting issues with various agencies and regulatory bodies in Ohio.
- Pursuing agency rule changes on behalf of clients in dealings with the Ohio Department of Taxation, Ohio Department of Development, Ohio Department of Health, Ohio Department of Insurance, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Ohio Attorney General and the Office of Budget and Management.
+1 216 479 8562
- Cleveland State University, J.D., 1987
- Cleveland State University, B.A., 1983
Squire Sanders Public Advocacy, LLC is a wholly owned affiliate of Squire, Sanders & Dempsey (US) LLP. Squire Sanders Public Advocacy, LLC is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to clients; therefore, clients of Squire Sanders Public Advocacy, LLC are not entitled to the benefits of an attorney-client relationship.